- The death cap is easily confused with non-poisonous species;
- The substances in death caps that are toxic to humans are heat stable and are not inactivated by cooking; and
- A lethal dose can be as low as 0.1 mg/kg, and a single mushroom can contain up to 15 mg.
the research posted by the CDC:Fortuitous weather and the increasing popularity of wild mushrooms combined in California to make a particularly dangerous foraging season this past winter and public health officials say the threat is ongoing. Fourteen people were confirmed with poisoning from unknowingly eating Amanita phalloides — commonly known as death cap mushrooms — during a two-week period in December 2016 in California, according to the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report posted Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Three of the victims required liver transplants because of irreversible fulminant hepatic failure. One of those patients, an 18-month-old child, developed cerebral edema and suffered permanent neurologic sequelae. The death cap is a triple threat, according to